NYSID honors Capital Region, Hudson Valley individuals with disabilities for employment excellence
Albany, NY – Twenty-one Capital Region/Hudson Valley area New Yorkers with disabilities are among 60 statewide Joslin Outstanding Performers recognized through New York State Industries for the Disabled, Inc.'s (NYSID) annual people-centered awards program.
The 2015 William B. Joslin Outstanding Performance Award co-recipients and all 2015 Joslin Outstanding Performers were honored during NYSID's Annual Meeting on September 30 at The Saratoga Hilton.
The New York State Division of Military & Naval Affairs was honored as NYSID's New York State Customer of the Year, and Rehabilitation Support Services in Albany was honored as NYSID's Member Agency of the Year.
NYSID also premiered a video highlighting NYSID WORKS!
community projects across New York State. NYSID coordinated NYSID WORKS!
to thank New York State for creating jobs for New Yorkers with disabilities –– a celebration of work by working. To view the video, visit https://youtu.be/uBnRjvIkzT0
October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM), a nationwide campaign that raises awareness about disability employment issues and celebrates the contributions of America's workers with disabilities, past and present. The 2015 NDEAM theme is: "My Disability Is One Part of Who I Am."
The Outstanding Performers for 2015 from the Capital Region/Hudson Valley are:
- Scott Bascue, Community, Work & Independence, Inc. (Glens Falls), packaging/production
- Jody Bombard, Fulton County Chapter NYSARC, Inc./Lexington Center (Gloversville), packaging/assembly
- Shyheem Chambers, Northeast Career Planning/The Norton Center, Inc. (Menands), custodial
- Rachel Closs, The Arc of Delaware County/Resources for Industry (Walton), clipboard assembly
- Timothy Durrin, Schoharie County Chapter NYSARC, Inc./Toe Path Industries (Schoharie), packaging/labeling
- Kera Ernst, Focused Technologies (Menands), document imaging
- Christine Hitchcock, Ulster‐Greene Arc/Pilot Industries (Kingston), drug test kit assembly
- Jeremy Hotaling, Liberty/Montgomery County Chapter NYSARC, Inc. (Amsterdam), office products assembly
- Michael Hubert, Essex County Chapter NYSARC, Inc./Mountain Lake Industries (Mineville), picnic table construction
- Garry Lane, The Arc of Rensselaer County (Troy), production/assembly
- Kathie McFarland, Columbia County Chapter NYSARC, Inc./Coarc (Mellenville), material handler/receptionist/driver
- Freida Moore, Gateway Community Industries, Inc. (Kingston), custodial
- Paul Roes, Schenectady County Chapter NYSARC, Inc./Pine Ridge Industries (Schenectady), document destruction
- Donna Sabatino, Herkimer County Chapter NYSARC, Inc./Herkimer Industries (Herkimer), uniform manufacturing
- Donald Stallings, The Altamont Program, Inc. (Schenectady), custodial
- Shamar Stenson, Warren/Washington/Albany Counties Chapter NYSARC, Inc. (Queensbury), custodial
- Richard Whaley, Center for Disability Services (Albany), production
- Carolyn Williams, eBizDocs (Menands), document preparation
- Sadie Williams, Rehabilitation Support Services (Albany), custodial
- Manda Mae Wright, The Arc Otsego (Oneonta), light manufacturing
- Marshall Zeray, Image Data, Inc. (Albany), document preparation
"NYSID has been turning business opportunities into jobs for New Yorkers with disabilities for 40 years, and we are proud to recognize this year's group of Joslin Outstanding Performers," said Ron Romano, NYSID president & CEO. "As NYSID celebrated '40 Years of Looking Forward' during this anniversary year, these individuals and organizations provided incredible examples of how much New York State benefits by having a workforce that is inclusive of persons with disabilities."
In its 12th year, NYSID's Joslin Awards Program has recognized nearly 600 Outstanding Performers, and awarded 15 of those individuals with the final William B. Joslin Outstanding Performance Award.
NYSID's annual Joslin Awards Program celebrates excellence in Preferred Source employment by New Yorkers with disabilities. All Outstanding Performers receive a certificate of achievement and cash award, and are featured in an annual yearbook. For more information on the Joslin Awards, including videos of previous award recipients, visit http://www.nysid.org/joslin.cfm
Established in 1975, NYSID is a registered 501(c)(3) Not for Profit which creates employment opportunities for more than 7,000 New Yorkers with disabilities annually. Its offerings are approved by the NYS Office of General Services and include janitorial, document imaging, industrial laundry, office temps, and other services, as well as a wide range of products assembled, packaged and/or manufactured by people with disabilities. NYSID's community rehabilitation member agencies and private sector business partners are located throughout the state, providing vocational assistance programs to their respective communities.