09/03-09/05 Weekend Insider Roundup
My apologies for the late post and the subsequent lack of video this week - I've come down with a bad cold and was not "camera ready" per se.
- Labor Day kickoff - Local Resident Appreciation. Fiat Feminae owner Lisa Alden wants to thank the community for their continued support during her first month in business. All local residents just have to show their ID at the fine lingerie and intimate wear boutique and they will receive a free panty with any purchase over $60. Fiat Feminae, 489 Broadway. Saturday, Sept. 3. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. (584-5147 http://www.facebook.com/fiatfeminae). FREE.
- Run for the Horses 5K. Join the second annual 5k road race to benefit the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation. The foundation currently cares for 1,100 former racehorses after their career in racing comes to an end. The first 250 people to register will receive a free T-shirt and prizes will be handed out to all Kids Fun Run participants. Trophies and medals will be awarded to the top three men and women in each age category. Refreshments available after the race. Saratoga Spa State Park, Orenda Pavillion. Saturday, Sept. 3. 8:30 to 11 a.m. (226-0028). $20 pre registtration/$25 day of. Kids run free.
- Final Stretch Festival. Celebrate the final weekend of racing at Saratoga Race Course. The party kicks off with the family fun fest and Labor Day BBQ to mark the days of the 40-day Saratoga meet. The final stretch music festival runs downtown with six different acts playing at sites along Broadway from Ellsworth Jones Place to Ben and Jerry's at the corner of Phila and Putnam Streets. Saratoga Race Course, 267 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs. Saturday Sept. 3 until Monday, Sept. 5. 7 to 11 p.m. (5c www.saratogaracetrack.com) FREE.
- Labor Day Weekend sale at Chic Underneath. All summer styles of intimate and lounge wear at Chic Underneath will be 15 percent off this weekend to make way for fall. Hurry in quick because the first 15 purchases will also receive a free eyebrow shaping and eyebrow wax at this one-of-a-kind lingerie boutique and waxing salon. The sale runs through the weekend so don't miss this exclusive deal. Chic Underneath, 7 Spring Street, Saratoga Springs. Sat., Sept. 3 through Mon. Sept. 5. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sundays; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (450-1034 www.chicunderneathboutique.com). FREE to shop.
Jam to Sir Elton John
- Elton John Live at SPAC. Ummm it's Elton John - what other reason do you need to go to SPAC this weekend. John hasn't played in the Capital District for over a year and he is undoubtedly one of the world's most charismatic, glamours and world respected singer-songwriters to grace SPAC all summer long. It's Sir Elton John - you never know how much glitter, glitz and glam he will bring to Sunday's show so my recommendation is to be there and see everything first hand. 108 Avenue of the Pines, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs. 8 p.m. (587-3330 www.spac.org).$26-$179.50
- Family Fun Fest at Saratoga Race Course + Community Appreciation Day. Celebrate the final festivities at the track on the last two days wrapping up the 143rd racing season in Saratoga Springs. All proceeds go toward the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital District. On Sunday and Monday the backyard at Saratoga Race Course will feature activities, carnival games, face painting, caricatures, giant inflatables and pony rides. Join then fun to usher out this year's meet! Things get better with jugglers and stilt walkers and even a magic show outside the bounce house, A can't miss event for the kids. On the final day of racing, Monday, all fans will receive free grandstand admission to celebrate the end of the 143rd meet at Saratoga Race Course. Saratoga Race Course, 267 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs. Sunday, Sept. 4 through Monday, Sept. 5. 10:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. (584-7064 www.saratogaracetrack.com). 3$ Grandstand
- Sperry's 2nd Annual End of Track Party. This Labor Day, say goodbye to this year's summer racing season with friends and family at Sperry's Restaurant on Caroline Street. The night features live entertainment by the George Boone Blues Band and plenty of great drink specials to say farewell to the 143rd meet at Saratoga Race Course and start planning for next summer when the 144th racing season begins in late July. Sperry's Restaurant, 30 1/2 Caroline Street, Saratoga Springs. Starts at 8 p.m.(584-9618 www.sperrysrestaurant.com). FREE.