08/19-08/21 Weekend Insider Roundup
TGIF and happy Friday, am I the only one who feels like this week dragged on forever? Well, it's over now, the skies have cleared and it's time to have some fun as our August track season weekends are dwindling. This is the weekend before the running of the Travers Stakes on Saturday, August 27 and there's lots to do to start counting down the days. It's also a weekend of fun events geared toward several great charities. It begins today with Fabulous Fillies day at the track where a portion of proceeds benefit the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Tonight at Saratoga Polo, there's a tailgate party to raise awareness and funds for those who suffer from kidney disease in Saratoga County. The kidney cause is the highlight this weekend, culminating on Sunday at the Gideon Putnam for the "Cat Walk for Kidneys" brunch and fashion show.
In other weekend news, keep your eyes out for a special celebration of culture in Congress Park and check out a world-class Cabaret show at SPAC. Enjoy!
Note: Please forgive the slip, but Grey Gelding is NOT one of the participating restaurants in NYRA's 1864 Travers Restaurant Week as stated in the video - for the full list, click here.
- What Women Want Gala Affair. On the eve of Saratoga Race Course's premiere filly race, the Alabama, lady track goers will have the chance to browse a variety of item's and displays provided by B 95's "What Women Want - Saratoga Style" event in the backyard. There will be fashion products, health services and much more from home improvement goods to fabulous track hats provided by Hats & Things. Ladies, this is your day so come dressed to impress, celebrate your fab fillies and help support the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Saratoga Race Course, 267 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs. Friday, August 19. 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. (584-6200 www.saratogaracetrack.com). FREE (with $3 grandstand admission).
- Cantering for Kidneys Tailgate Party at Saratoga Polo. Celebrate the first "Health and Horses" event at Saratoga Polo to help raise money for those in Saratoga County who suffer from kidney disease. The tailgate party is themed "Health and Horses" and there will be prizes awarded to the top two tailgaters. Judging the contest is Hall of Fame Jockey Randy Romero and equestrian Colleen Cunningham, also a Saratoga High School student - both diagnosed with a kidney disease. Guests are encouraged to bring family, friends and everyone in between to this evening of fun and raising awareness and funds for kidney disease in the region. Saratoga Polo, 2 Bloomfield Road, Greenfield Center. Friday, August 19. 5 to 8 p.m. (225-8205 www.saratogapolo.com). $10 entry fee, does not include entry to polo match.
Get in touch with your creative side at the two-day Saratoga Arts Celebration
- Saratoga Arts Celebration. This juried fine arts and crafts festival will be running on Saturday and Sunday this weekend on the lawn of the National Museum of Dance here in Saratoga Springs. The event features a variety of exciting visual and performance art, including children's activities, demos, art talks, dance and musical performances. There will also be a food court on site to refuel throughout the day. Over 100 artists from more than 25 states will be present exhibiting their work. A high-quality (and free!) event perfect for both artists and non-artists alike. Bring the family and enjoy. National Museum of Dance, 99 South Broadway, Saratoga Springs. Saturday, August 20 & Sunday, August 21. 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. (893-2633 www.gordonfinearts.org). FREE.
- Cabaret Series "Live from the Algonquin." This evening of musical dance theatre is highlighted by "Live from the Algonquin" star and Cabaret legend Steve Ross. Ross will sing the Great American Song book in three shows: "Puttin' on the Ritz" (by Fred Astaire), "Ridin' High" (by Cole Porter), and "Rhythm and Romance." Ross has been internationally recognized for his smooth Cabaret style by the New York and the London Times. Catch it before it's gone at SPAC. Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Little Theatre, 108 Avenue of the Pines, Saratoga Springs. Saturday, August 20 through Thursday, August 25. 8 p.m. (584-9330 www.spac.org/cabaret.cfm). $35-$55
Celebrate the annual Shalmon Festival in the park...L'chaim!
- 8th Annual Shalmon Festival. For the 8th year, Saratoga Chabad Jewish Center will host the Shalom Festival in Congress Park. There's fun for the whole family at this unique cultural event regardless of religious affiliation. Check out Jewish music, dance and activities. There will also be food stands selling Kosher hot dogs, falafel, cold drinks and fresh produce from local farmers. Saratoga Apple will be there, Harry the Juggler and many face-painting and game opportunities for the young ones. L'chaim again! Congress Park, Saratoga Springs. Sunday, August 21. 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. (526-0773 http://www.saratogachabad.com). FREE.
Get fit for free in Clifton Park
- Clifton Park CrossFit Fitness Festival & Grand Opening. Clifton Park has a new workout center in town. This Sunday, the new CrossFit Clifton Park center celebrates its grand opening with a free, day long fitness festival. Some of the event's highlights include free workouts and demos, nutrition information and lots of other surprises, activities and prize giveaways. There will be food provided by the Meat House, athletic competitions and Fly 92.3 will be on site for live entertainment. If you're in search of a new gym to join this fall, come see how CrossFit stacks up to the competition. CrossFit Clifton Park, 1580 Route 9, Clifton Park. Sunday, August 21. 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. (221-8531 http://www.albanycrossfit.com/my-weblog/2011/06/clifton-park-crossfit-officially-opens.html). FREE.
- Cat Walk for Kidneys. In addition to the tailgate event for kidney disease on Friday at Saratoga Polo, the Gideon Putnam Hotel will host its own fashion fundraiser for the cause this Sunday. Ticket price includes a fabulous brunch at the Gideon Putnam Resort and a preview of Saratoga Fashion at a runway show. Strutting their stuff on the catwalk will be Miss New York City Brittaney Jasenski accompanied by a large number of both celebrity and local fashion models. See local fashion on the runway from stores like Rockabella, Piper and Evoke Style. Kidney disease survivor jockey Randy Romero will also be present to support the cause. Gideon Putnam Hotel, 24 Gideon Putnam Road, Saratoga Springs. Sunday, August 21. 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. (533-7881 www.healthykidneys.org) $45 per person.
- Travers 1864 Restaurant Week. Sunday marks the kick off of the annual "Travers 1864 Restaurant Week," sponsored by NYRA and over 20 restaurant partners across the Capital District. The week long event runs until Travers Day itself on Saturday, August 27 at Saratoga Race Course. Guests can receive a 3-course meal for just $18.64 (honoring the first running of the Travers Stakes in 1864), at local participating restaurants. Enjoy a night on the town and start ushering in the 2011 Travers Stakes in style. For a complete list of restaurants click here. Participating Restaurants throughout the Capital District. Sunday, August 21 until Saturday, August 27. (584-6200 www.nyra.com/www.saratogaracetrack.com). $18.64 (may not include tip, tax or beverage).