08/12-08/14 Weekend Insider Roundup
- "Wine Lovers" — The Wine Tasting Musical. Wine enthusiasts and fans of the theatre will both take pleasure in watching this unique musical production. Wine Lovers tells the story of two students who attend a wine class led by one energetic teacher. As the class and the show goes on, the characters, and the audience, will learn all there is to know about reds, roses, whites and possibly a little about romance. Wine and love, sigh. Universal Preservation Hall, 25 Washington Street, Saratoga Springs. Friday, August 12 through Sunday, August 14. Friday: 7:30 p.m. Saturday & Sunday: 2 and 7:30 p.m. (584-2627 or 212 328 0388 www.wineloversthemusical.com). $45-$59.
- "The Adirondack Circuit" AKC Dog Show. An absolute must. I covered the 5-day show on Thursday and the over 900 dogs – over 150 breeds – that show each day are some of the nation’s top show champs. In less than an hour I ran into the #1 ranked female French bulldog, a national champ Shiba Inu, and the top Canadian Shih Tzu. From pint-sized pups to silky St. Bernards, there’s a pooch that will find a special place for any observer. Watching the owners groom their locks and looking on as Chihuahuas prance around the show ring – I can’t recommend this eclectic event enough. Most owners will let guests pet and cuddle their pretty pooches, but be sure to ask – some get a bit nervous with the crowd. Enjoy this puppy paradise. Saratoga County Fairgrounds, Prospect Street, Ballston Spa. Friday, August 12 through Sunday, August 14. 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (http://www.infodog.com/prm/218/prm218.pdf). FREE.
- Whiteface Road Warriors in Saratoga Springs. The Whiteface Road Warriors are back, bringing Saratogians the opportunity to snag free lift tickets to ski and ride Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid this winter. Here’s the catch – to qualify, you must be decked out in ski gear – goggles, winter coats, hats, ski boots, whatever. Even if you can’t dig the snow gear out of storage, join the fun anyway for the chance to win lift tickets or other ticket packages including two for one deals.The Road Warriors will be out about this weekend so keep your eyes peeled. Various locations. Friday, Bailey’s Café, 37 Phila Street, Saratoga Springs. 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Congress Park, Saratoga Springs. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Gaffney's Restaurant, 16 Caroline Street, Saratoga Springs. 9 to 11 p.m. (523-1655 http://www.whiteface.com/summer/events/road.php). FREE.
- Jailhouse Rock 5K. The Saratoga County Historical Society will host the 9th annual Jailhouse Rock road race starting from the organization’s home at Brookside Museum in B.Spa. The course trots past the Saratoga County Fairgrounds to the correctional facility. The first 250 runners receive a free T-shirt and awards for age-group winners and for overall fastest male and female will go to the day’s champs. Proceeds go to benefit Brookside’s education program. Brookside Museum, 6 Charlton Street, Ballston Spa. Saturday, August 10. 8:30 a.m. (885-4000 http://www.brooksidemuseum.org/jailhouse-rock-5k/). FREE to watch. $22 pre-registered, $27 day of to run.
- Atmosphere at Northern Lights. One of the best-know (yet still semi-underground) American hip-hop groups, Atmosphere, is right here in our own backyard this Saturday. Rhyming since 1989, Atmosphere has released over 10 albums and is known across the globe. Famous for their intricate rhythms and smart rhymes, Atmosphere's still got it. See what the fuss is about this Saturday in Clifton Park. Northern Lights, 1208 Route 146, Clifton Park. Saturday, August 13. 7 p.m. (371-0012 www.northernlightslive.com). $20 Advance, $22 Day of.
- Sundaes on Sunday: 9th Annual Ice Cream Social. If you're around the Schenectady/Niskayuna area this Sunday, stop by the Dominican Retreat and Conference Center for a free make your own ice-cream sundae. A great chance to bring the family, interact with the community and learn more about what the community center is all about (and did I mention free ice cream?). A choir will perform at 1 and 2:30 p.m. for live entertainment. There will also be fun activities for the kids and a chance to win a retreat giveaway. Dominican Retreat and Conference Center, 1945 Union Street, Niskayuna. Sunday, August 14. 12-4 p.m. (393-4169 www.dslcny.org). FREE.
- Captain Squeeze & the Zydeco Moshers. You might have seen them at the track on Mardi Gras Wednesday, but if you haven't caught Captain Squeeze (or even if you have) you'll want to get down to Clifton Park this Sunday to experience the excitement. Captain Squeeze and the Zydeco Moshers play true, Cajun-style zydeco music straight from New Orleans and on a show featuring toe-tapping dance moves, accordions, and one mosher playing a tin washboard strapped right on his chest. Perfect for any age, Captain Squeeze guarantees an evening of quality live entertainment and dancing (SEE BELOW VIDEO). Clifton Common Stage, Vischer Ferry Road, Clifton Park. Sunday, August 14. 7 p.m.(371-6667 http://www.cliftonpark.com/things-to-do/common-performing-arts.cfm). FREE.