08/05-08/07 Weekend Insider Roundup
Enjoy the weekend.
- Bustiers & Bubbles: Fiat Feminae's Grand Opening at the Paddock Lounge. Today marks the official opening of Saratoga's newest intimate wear boutique - Fiat Feminae located at 489 Broadway. This evening, to celebrate the boutique's grand opening, owner Lisa Alden will host a "Bustiers and Bubbles" event at the Paddock Lounge on Caroline from 8 until 10 p.m. The first 25 (error in video!) guests to enter will receive a complimentary gift bag full of intimate surprises and gift certificates from local businesses. The bags also provide an entry into the grand opening drawing where the lucky winner will receive an exclusive Fiat Feminae piece valued at $300 and adorned with Swarovski jewels. Get in early for a chance to win, a champagne toast and live music by Crossfire. Paddock Lounge, 6 Caroline Street, Saratoga Springs. Friday, August 5. 8-10 p.m. (www.paddockloungesaratoga.com). FREE
Philadelphia Orchestra at SPAC: Cirque De La Symphonie Magical Tales and Love and Romance. This unique show takes place on both Friday and Saturday evening at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Watch a body twisting acrobatics and poetic dance performance set to the smooth classical tunes of the Philadelphia Orchestra for a visual and audio combination treat this weekend at SPAC. A perfect way to access the orchestra for those still hoping to get involved. The theme of Friday's performance is "Magical Tales" and Saturday's is "Love and Romance." Saratoga Performing Arts Center, 8 Avenue of the Pines, Saratoga Springs. Friday, August 5, & Saturday, August 6. 8 p.m. (584-9330 www.spac.org). Tickets start at $20.
Check out Saratoga's biggest trucks with the family
- Big Truck Day. Remember when you were a kid and felt that allure and mysterious pull toward all the biggest and brightest firetrucks, construction vehicles and dump trucks? Well, even if you can't, there's a chance your child will and Saratoga's Big Truck Day is a perfect Saturday family activity to wow the little ones. The event will let kids and families check out the town's big trucks and emergency vehicles and guests will have the chance to meet the faces behind Saratoga's metal giants on wheels. Rain date is August 13. Maple Avenue Middle School, 515 Maple Avenue, Saratoga Springs. Saturday, August 6. 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (584-5540). $5 per child. $1 per adult.
- "All in for Wishes" Charity Poker Tournament. For Saratoga's avid poker stars who want to have fun and give back to the community, the Make-A-Wish Foundation's charity poker tournament might be up your alley. The Northeast chapter of Make-A-Wish is bringing in world-renowned poker celebrities at this weekend's tournament for community members to buy in and face the stars in a Texas Hold 'Em tournament. All proceeds go to the Foundation's wish-granting program, with a goal of funding 10 wishes from the event. A $200 buy in lets players compete for prizes including an entry into the World Series of Poker main event in 2012. Saratoga City Center, 522 Broadway. Saturday, August 6. 12 p.m. (584-0027 www.saratogacitycenter.org). $200 buy in.
- VFW Post #420 Annual Craft Fair. This Sunday, the local VFW on Excelsior Avenue is hosting its annual craft fair to benefit the Guardian House Woman's Veteran Shelter in Ballston Spa. The fair features local crafts, artisans and galleries to raise donations for the shelter. There will also be a snack bar and used book sale. VFW Post #420, 190 Excelsior Avenue, Saratoga Springs. Sunday, August 7. 9 a.m.-4 p.m. (885-9029). FREE.
- Galloping Grapes: A New York Wine Event at the Saratoga Race Course. Wine lovers and racing enthusiasts can combine passions this Sunday at the track. A special section in the backyard will be dedicated to all things New York wine. Wineries from across the state and right here in Saratoga will be on display for guests to sample, taste and purchase products. The first 500 guests through the door to the event will receive a commemorative Saratoga Race Course wine glass. All proceeds go to two education based charities run by the Times Union. Saratoga Race Course, 267 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs. Sunday, August 7. Noon until 7 p.m. (584-7064 www.saratogaracecourse.com). Entry to the wine event is $20 in advance, $25 day off and does not include regular track admission price ($3 Grandstand, $5 Clubhouse).