07/15—07/17 Weekend Insider Roundup
FRIDAY, JULY 15.
Take advantage of a special deal at Saratoga Polo
- Saratoga Polo World Expo. The Saratoga Polo Association just kicked off their 2011 season and they’re offering a special $15 deal this Friday, July 15. The event, sponsored by Saratoga Saddlery boutique and Equicurian Magazine will feature an international crowd with players and fans from countries like Italy, Mexico, Argentina and Pakistan. There will be a tournament event and the $15 will give guests access to the exclusive clubhouse (normally $25) where there is a full cash bar and appetizer options from Lily and the Rose Gourmet Caterers. The Saratoga Polo Association, 2 Bloomfield Road, Greenfield Center. Friday, July 15. 5:30 p.m.(584-8108 www.saratogapolo.com). $15.
Dine on wood fired pizza at the Saratoga Winery
- Live music, wine tasting & wood fired pizza. Get down to the Saratoga Winery & Tasting Room this Friday for a perfect summer evening. There’s no cover and guests can sip a glass of wine while watching live music by Ryan Jenson. Dinner is covered with wood fired pizza to go along with your cocktail. The perfect way to usher in a great summer weekend. The Saratoga Winery & Tasting Room, 462 Route 29 West, Saratoga Springs. Friday, July 15. 6—9 p.m. (584-9463 www.thesaratogawinery.com). FREE admission.
SATURDAY, JULY 16.
Celebrate blueberry fest in Menands
- Blueberry Festival. This Saturday at the Capital District Farmer’s Market in Menands is the annual blueberry festival. Spend the morning outside and check out the blueberry dessert contest complete with prizes for the best cake, pie, cobbler, muffin or other various blueberry delicatessen. Vendors will be selling blueberry pancakes along with their usual local produce, flowers, fruits, and other farmer’s market goods. There will also be live music from Tad & Mike to complement the event. Delicious. Capital District Farmer’s Market, 381 Broadway, Menands. Saturday, July 16. 9 a.m.—1 p.m. (465-1023 www.capitaldistrictfarmersmarket.com). FREE.
Take a food tour of Saratoga Springs
- Saratoga Food Tours. Take a unique culinary tour of the tastes of Saratoga. The tour begins at the Saratoga Farmer’s Market where participants will have the chance to sample a variety of fine cheeses, tapinades and homemade jams all manufactured locally. Next, head to the Olde Bryan Inn where appetizers will be served along with several talks by local experts about Saratoga’s unique food and farm history. Saratoga Farmers Market, High Rock Road, Saratoga Springs. Saturday, July 16. 12:30—3:00 p.m. (803-4181 www.saratogaspringsfoodtours.com). $40
SUNDAY, JULY 17.
Get in race season spirit at the track’s annual open house
- Saratoga Race Course: 31st Annual Open House. Each year the Saratoga Race Course puts on a traditional open house fit for the whole family. The day will be packed with games, activities, live music and entertainment, as well as pony rides and non-betting horse races. There will also be a number of behind-the-scenes tours and all proceeds from the event will go to local non-profit organizations. Saratoga Race Course, 267 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs. 11 a.m.—4 p.m. (584-7064 www.saratogaracecourse.com). FREE.
Prove your beer drinking skills at Putnam Den’s first Beer Olympics.
- Putnam Den's First Annual Beer Olympics. Join Putnam Den for their first annual Beer Olympics this Sunday. Local bars and independent teams are encouraged to participate. Some of events include: beer pong, crazy waiter beer carry, tricycle obstacle course, blindfolded beer taste tests, relay chug, limbo contest, beer can toss and a shotgun contest. The top two teams will go head-to-head in an all out water balloon dodge ball tournament… Should be interesting so if you’re not playing, at least come and cheer on your teammates (and take incriminating photos…). The Putnam Den, 63A Putnam Street, Saratoga Springs. 4—7 p.m. (584-8066 www.putnamden.com). $6 per person.