GAITHERSBURG, Md. – GasBuddy, a community-based price comparison app that helps users find cheap gas, shares the best last-minute Spring Break road trip destinations whether travelers are looking for sunshine or ski slopes, all while not breaking the bank.
The month of March is the peak of spring travel season. If you still have no plans, a spontaneous road trip just might be your best bet. GasBuddy predicts that this year’s springtime gas prices will be the cheapest it has been since 2009. Currently, the national average price for a gallon of gas is $2.332, over $1.09 cheaper than it was last year at this time.
“For over six years we have been weary of hitting the road with prices pushing $4 a gallon,” said Allison Mac, a GasBuddy petroleum analyst. “Although prices are ticking back up because of seasonal changes, overall they are still cheaper than where they were in years past. This is the time to break out of winter’s hibernation and see some of the amazing places this country has to offer.”
On top of the cheaper gas this year, Spring Breakers can save even more money using GasBuddy’s “Trip Cost Calculator.” By entering in the make and model of the car, then the start and end points, the Trip Cost Calculator will tell you the cheapest stations to fill up on your route, plus how much the entire trip will cost you in gas money.
GasBuddy has compiled a list of the top Spring Break road-trip destinations for $200 in a midsize SUV, using the Trip Cost Calculator.*
Search for Sunshine
If hopping on a plane to Cancun is not in your budget, there are plenty of drivable destinations that will provide the same warm weather and relaxing environment.
· For the Midwest and Northeasterners desperate to thaw out from the record-breaking winter temperatures, Florida is your answer. Various cities in The Sunshine State continue to top the charts as some of the most popular Spring Break destinations. Not only that, but it’s affordable. Some of GasBuddy’s picks:
1. Philadelphia, PA to Orlando, FL ($167 round-trip)
2. Boston, MA to Daytona Beach, FL ($201 round-trip)
3. Chicago, IL to Panama City Beach, FL ($158 round-trip)
· Northwestern residents can escape the rain and head to the sunny shores of Southern California or enjoy some desert heat. Road-trips GasBuddy suggests:
1. Portland, OR to Huntington Beach, CA ($197 round-trip)
2. Seattle, WA to Santa Cruz, CA ($168 round-trip)
3. Denver, CO to Las Vegas, NV ($120 round-trip)
Powder and Snow
Those who get to enjoy warm weather year round might be itching to hit the slopes before the season ends.
· Some of the Nation’s best ski destinations are just a couple of hours drive away for West Coasters. Here are GasBuddy’s picks:
1. Los Angeles, CA to Park City, UT ($123 round-trip)
2. San Francisco, CA to Jackson Hole, WY ($151 round-trip)
3. Phoenix, AZ to Aspen, CO ($118 round-trip)
· East Coast region residents can head to the Appalachians to take advantage of the massive amounts of snow Mother Nature provided this winter. Some of our recommendations:
1. Chapel Hill, NC to Stowe, VT ($133 round-trip)
2. Gainesville, FL to Lake Placid, NY ($211 round-trip)
3. Atlanta, GA to Bretton Woods, NH ($194 round-trip)
*Prices determined based on a Ford Explorer (auto, 3.5L, FWD), the best-selling SUV midsize SUV according to Edmunds.com and gas prices as of Feb 23, 2015. Prices will vary depending on car model, location and trip detours.