2.09.2012

Allstar changing hands (closing)?

We hear that Allstar — the GM-dealership-turned-service-station on Route 50 near SPAC — is closing but new information leads me to believe it might be just changing hands. I called the shop and the person who answered the phone (who declined to identify himself) said the shop's owner had a meeting with the owner of another body shop today but the phone answerer didn't know what the outcome of the meeting was. (So it sounded to me like the current owner wants to sell to someone else and that deal might be being negotiated right now, but that's a guess based on reading between the lines of my brief phone conversation)

The phone answerer suggested I call back tomorrow and speak to the shop manager, Rodney, which I will do.


Anyone got any information about that? Leave a comment, email me at edonohue@saratogian.com or call me 583-8729 ext. 213.

You may recall that Allstar was a Chevrolet Cadillac dealer until the fall of 2009 when the owner decided to drop its affiliation with then financially-troubled GM. The 40-year-old business became a Napa Auto Parts dealer and full-service body shop at that time.

So, if you've got any information about what's going on at Allstar, you know how to find me.

Emily


Sidenote: I'm really stumbling over the language in this post... what's a service center vs. mechanic vs. body shop vs. auto parts dealer? Help me out. Here's what I do know, when my car is making strange noises or behaving badly I call up Mr. Shaver at High Mills Garage in Burnt Hills (where I grew up) and he always helps me out. Not sure what exactly his title is... so I stick with "Mr."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Brian Dunnbar said...

Service center - usually a repair facility associated with a dealership.
mechanic - private independent operation, typically smaller
body shop - Where body related repairs are done (i.e. collision not mechnical)
Auto parts - Like it says, just spare parts

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:02:00 AM 
Anonymous Brian Dunnbar said...

service center = part of a dealership
mechanic = independent repair facility
body shop = for "body" related repairs, such as after an accident
auto parts = like it says, just parts. No repairs.

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:03:00 AM 
Blogger Saratogian Online said...

Thanks Brian!

Friday, February 10, 2012 11:26:00 AM 
Anonymous Chris said...

Nice post which The 40-year-old business became a Napa Auto Parts dealer and full service body shop at that time.The GM dealership turned service station on Route 50 near SPAC is closing but new information leads me to believe it might be just changing hands. Thanks a lot for posting this article.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:07:00 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home