Owners of Funcycled Compete on HGTV’s Flea Market Flip and WIN!!
TROY, NY – FynCycled owners John and Sarah Trop showcased their upcycling talents on HGTV’s Flea Market Flip and out sold their competition to win the grand prize!
Flipping furniture and upcyling materials that might otherwise be kicked to the curb is what Trops do best and they showcase their unique designs in the storefront they recently opened on River Street in Troy.
Armed with $500, John and Sarah competed against another team on HGTV’s Flea Market Flip to complete their flip list of three projects: Stylish Storage, Modern Americana, and Mixed Textures. They searched the aisles of Stormville Airport Antique Show and Flea Market in Upstate New York and bargained to find the materials to transform an array of materials into 3 unique projects.
The episode, Happy Flipping Anniversary, was filmed on their 11th wedding anniversary and aired tonight on the Great American Country Channel. The show is hosted by Designer/Flea Market ace and Good Morning America Anchor, Lara Spencer.
“Being able to compete and win on Flea Market Flip was such an amazing and unbelievable opportunity,” said Trop. “Searching to find the materials to create the 3 projects on our flip list was intense, but we found some fun pieces with great stories and history that we ultimately transformed to out sell our opponents.”
Designing the winning combination:
- Stylish Storage: We purchased an old wheat trunk and converted into a secretary desk/ coffee table combination. We wanted it to have a rustic design, keep some of it’s history visible, and be multi functional.
- Modern Americana: We purchased an old tractor gear and vintage ironing board. This challenge was tricky because we weren’t sure exactly how we would tie together old vintage american made products to create a modern design. Getting the tractor gear to stand on its own was a piece of art in and of itself. The the old ironing board seemed perfect for a coffee table.
- Mixed Textures: We purchased an old cable spool, a base from a subway light and an old grain sack. We mixed wood, metal and fabric to create a one of a kind bar for a NYC apartment. It had so much history in each part of this piece and was definitely my favorite project!!
Last spring, they got the exciting news they were selected to be on the HGTV show Flea Market Flip. Sarah has been watching Flea Market Flip for years and credits Lara Spencer for giving her design inspiration via her book “I Brake for Yard Sales.”
HGTV’s Flea Market Flip shows viewers how a little cash can go a long way with the right amount of creativity. Each week a plethora of amazing items will be showcased by our teams as they creatively use their eye for style and some elbow grease to turn these leftovers into a main course by the show's conclusion.
The show will air again on the Great American County Channel (295) on the following dates/times:
• March 01, 2015 8:00 PM ET
• March 01, 2015 10:00 PM ET
• March 02, 2015 12:00 AM ET
• March 02, 2015 2:00 AM ET
• March 02, 2015 9:30 PM ET